Wednesday, May 28, 2008

YUCK, That Was Gross!



Well Mom went to the hospital today to have bloodwork and her glucose test. They took bloodwork first, which was not so bad, just had to wait for the results to come back before the next step. After that, Mom had to drink this cola stuff, Dexicola, as they called it, then wait for an hour, and then have bloodwork done again. They are sadly mistaken, that is not a cola! That was gross, and on an empty stomach, it was about all Mom could do to finish it.

After that Mom felt pretty nauseuous, good thing she had just decided to take the day off, instead of only the morning for the tests. She was glad about her decision and so was I because we got to rest the remainder of the day before we all went to our childbirth class (the teacher is a bit of a bore)! We will find out the results at our next appointment, unless there is something we need to know sooner.



THE RESULTS . . . Well the doctor just called Mom this evening to let her know how her results came back. Her sugar was fine but hemoglobin was low so she will now have to take Feosol, iron supplements, for the remainder of the pregnancy. The doctor said he wants to be sure her iron is up for the delivery. Of course, Mom read up on it and it seems it is pretty common in the last stages of pregnancy. She will follow doctor's orders so that all will go well.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember the stuff I had to drink was supposed to taste like orange soda...it was so sweet it gave me the shakes!

Liz said...

Glad to hear that the sugar is normal (even though you had to drink that NASTY stuff to find out!) I remember that Garrett had to take iron supplements too during her 3rd trimester and everything turned out fine..no worries! Cant wait to see you on Friday!!!

Damon + Maryam said...

I'm on the same supplements. The doctor is having a hard time getting me to take them though, they make me sick to my stomach and I don't need any help in that department.

As for the glucose test I have never, ever been able to complete the test without throwing up! I get mine next doc. apt. We'll see how it goes.