Sunday, August 10, 2008

I'm Here!

With much surprise, I made my grand appearance on Wednesday, August 6, 2008. Mom woke up on Wednesday morning and she thought her water had broke. But since it was only a trickle here and there, Mom wasn't sure. Mom alerted Dad that maybe it was her water but Mom just wasn't sure. She went to work that morning and figured that she would call the doctor from work to ask some questions. Once Mom got in contact with the doctor's office, the nurse said it was detrimental to get to the hospital because it did sound that Mom's water had broke. Mom called Dad to tell him she was coming to get him, get the bags ready, we were going to the hospital. Once Mom got to Dad, Dad was getting all the bags for the car and we were off.

As soon as we got to the hospital, Mom got into the triage room where the OBGyn on call checked her out. It was official! Her water had broken and I was going to be born that day! Since Mom thought that her water had broken at 7:30am that morning, the doctor told her that I needed to be delivered within 18 hours. Since Mom was only 1 cm dialated, she had a ways to go. I was still sitting up pretty high in Mom's belly so they started her on the IV and then the pitocin drip. All was well and I was on my way.

As the day progressed, Mom was moved to labor and delivery with her pitocin drip. Dad was awesome at keeping everyone informed so that the grandparents could have time to travel up for the birth. In labor and delivery, things progressed slowly and at 3:00pm, Mom was still only 1 cm but the contractions begin to wear her down. She stayed calm but was in a lot of pain. At 4:30pm, the doctor came in for another check and it was the time she had been waiting for-she was 4 cm dialated and she could now get the epidural. Once that was ordered, the doctor came to administer it and we were on our way.

By 8:30pm that evening, Mom was 8 cm dialated, which meant I was coming in a few hours. At about 10:30pm, Mom started pushing with the nurse and Dad while our doctor got ready. Once our doctor got there, we did more pushing and I officially made my entrance into this world at 11:02pm. Mom was happy, both Granny and Mamaw were grinning from ear to ear, and Dad was snapping pictures right and left. Dad was a great coach! He and Mom made a great team, the doctor complimented how it was one of the smoothest deliveries he had made with a couple. We worked together and supported one another.



While the nurses and pediatrician worked with me, Mom was working to complete the final stage but the placenta just wouldn't come out. The doctors worked on Mom for about 30 minutes after to deliver the placenta, which eventually came out. Mom lost a lot of blood so that doctors had to keep a very close eye on her while we stayed in the hospital. I was here!



During our stay in the hospital, I ate, slept, pooped, and got checked out. All was well with me and Mom was seeming to check out ok too. On Friday afternoon, we got discharged to go home with directions to bring me back to see my pediatrician on Monday. Mom got directions to take care of herself because her hemoglobin had dropped both days in the hospital and the doctors were concerned.



Once we got home, it was such a joy! I was more comfortable and so were Mom and Dad. I like my room and it is easy feeding in there. Mom and Dad are definitely transitioning but family has been amazingly helpful in my first days of life. I have a great set of lungs and I can scream! I am truly a girl, they say I squeal like my mom did. Mom and Dad are partial but they say I am BEAUTIFUL! So far, I really love my home, am eating well, peeing and pooping well, and making my transition. But I don't like having my diaper changed and am a little gassy. Mom just thinks I am trying to work those fluids out. Mom and Dad apologize that they are so behind with getting pictures to everyone but they are enjoying me, sharing me with family and friends, and getting used the the fact that they are parents! I will keep you updated because I am thrilled to be here!

9 comments:

The Lils said...

Congratulations on the new addition. Welcome to the wonderful world of parenthood.

Love,

Lil Suga + Lil Man

Damon + Maryam said...

She is really beautiful! I can't wait to visit with you guys again, and I'm so happy that my little girl will have an instant playmate. Take care of yourself mom and congratulations again!

Liz said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! A little girl...who knew?? She's gorgeous and I cant wait to see her! See you this week!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful baby girl! Congratulations, Mom and Dad. Take good care of yourselves and enjoy this special time now as a "Party of 3"! By the way...Mom and Dad are workin' those blue hospital caps like nobody else! ;) We love you all!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!
~Gary

Anonymous said...

congrats! I know I am kind of late with the praise, but i just logged on to your blog and say her. She is really beautiful. Remember these days they don't last long. Chris said she is gorgeous and hi.

Midwify said...

Congrats!!!! She is adorable!!! For some reasonn I knew you all would have a girl! Good job mom and dad! Now she's finally here and you can have all the joys of parenthood!

Jenn said...

Congratulations! I hadn't checked your blog in a while, so imagine my surprise when I finally did and you have a two-week-old already! I'm so happy for you both!!! This time is precious--cherish it!! Love to you all!

Anonymous said...

Evie is a beautiful little girl! I am so happy that I can keep tabs on her through this website! Michelle, you take care of yourself and rest all you can! Love, Kathy